Leadership Lessons To Live By: God’s Ways Are Higher Than Yours

Our lack of confidence resides in our inability to trust the Lord. Our failure to trust Him stems from our fear of losing control. Control births the very nature that leads us to impulsively steward our lives into a direction we often deem appropriate. Many times this course is way off, leading to frustration, doubt, and a misunderstanding of God’s provision and plan.

Our Perceived Purposes Are So Different From What He Intends

Isaiah 55:9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

We can lead with utter self-assurance and perceive our success to stem from our own genius. Or we can be attune to His leading, thereby aligning our lives with His purpose and receiving promised assurance of hope and peace as we partake in leadership. The only way to do this is to stay in close communication with Him, always expecting to find His guidance in one way or another.

Make Your Plans, But Know that Ultimately They Are Futile.

Isaiah 5:10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater.

Leading our congregations or teams should always be accompanied by clear goals and planning. Without a vision we have no foresight. Without a goal, we have no purpose. Without planning, we inevitably set ourselves up for failure, as unexpected outcomes will arise. That said, our perception of planning should always be based on a cautionary approach, rather than a means-to-an-end. In our position of leadership, we have to rely on our Primary Navigator, who through His Word can and will show us how to best lead and prepare. Although we cannot predict the outcome, He already knows it!

A Calling With A Purpose

Isaiah 55:11: “So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.”

Our time as a leader is limited. Whether in church, at home, or at work. When we lose sight of why we were called to this position in the first place, we run the risk of failing to persevere until the end. Along the way we miss out on countless opportunities to see God’s provision and leading first hand. When we look to our circumstances and get fixated on outcomes, we fail to recognize the extend of our calling. By placing us in a leadership position, He also made a promise that his Word will go out and not return empty. He promised that He will accomplish what He set out to do. Leading from this understanding will give us so much perspective and help us to build confidence, not in ourselves, but in His ultimate plan.

10 Responses to “Leadership Lessons To Live By: God’s Ways Are Higher Than Yours”

1. AMOR AGUELO January 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

I was refreshed and reminded by these thoughts. God has placed me into a position that even circumstances can’t hinder me. Thank you for the encouragement that God will always be my partner.

2. Colleen January 24, 2012 at 6:22 am #

This is an On-Time word. Thank you for allowing God to use you to speak to His people. We can no longer meander around in the basic direction WE FEEL God is leading us. We must study His word, Yoke with His spirit and seek His guidance in our every step, not meandering on in a basic direction but walking upright along His narrow path.

3. Cedric L. Walker, Sr. January 24, 2012 at 6:29 am #

Its a good thing that God lines His purposes with grace for all our sake, no matter how c careful our prayerful we are to remember that we are working in the middle of His purposes. We all forget sometimes.

4. David McGovern January 24, 2012 at 6:38 am #

Great sentiments! It reminds me that i can only set about doing God’s work if i am focused on doing God’s will! And to know what His will, i have to know Him!

5. Jasmin Alejandro January 24, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I thank the Lord for using your ministry to encourage me to go on as a leader. I was enlightened and empowered. Thank you once again and God bless you.

6. Brian Wendt January 24, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Refreshing to see the kingdom of God on the same page! God has been leading me as the Lead Pastor of our church to minister this same massage over the past three weeks! God is so on His throne! Thank you for walking in His spirit and not running the seeker freindly route of man…
    Blessings!

Pastor Brian Wendt
    HHCC

7. Winifred Bower January 24, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Thankyou, These are good points for reminder. I am a lay preacher, one of a ministry team of three, I preach about once a month but teach Special Religious Education in the state local Primary school as well, and am a volunteer leader in our church run Play-group for families with preschool children.

8. Renante Lloren January 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

Great reminder, indeed even though we lay out our plans to God, it is always His will and purposes prevails as God use Christian leaders to lead his people, we can only yield and obey being guided by His Words as God intends to accomplish His purpose through us.

9. Lauren Mazzio January 25, 2012 at 9:42 am #

I really needed to hear this today. I am struggling with letting God lead/obedience – I can tell this is my issue because this is really all God has been saying to me for the last week! 🙂 I covet your prayers that I can finally “let go and let God!” God bless you all in your ministries in these end times.

10. Audrey mason February 14, 2012 at 6:40 am #

As I was reading it just reminded me to have a clear cut vision of how God would have me to lead his people in ministry. God told us to write the vision and make it plain. I am seeking for clarity in this season, so that I may be able to give clear instruction in God’s word. This article just helped me to go back to the beginning. Thank you, God Bless.